Home brewers are married, educated and geographically diverse
Boulder, Colorado • November 6, 2017-According to recently released demographic data of American Homebrew Association (AHA)– the leading organization dedicated to advancing and educating people about the hobby of home brewing – there are currently 1.1 million people in the United States who brew their own beer, and 40% of between them started the hobby in the past four years.
“Homebrewing, in our view, is the greatest hobby there is, and the state of the hobby – underscored by the passion, commitment and creativity of homebrewers – is strong,” said Gary Glass, director of the American Homebrewers Association. “The numbers show we have a lot to look forward to in the years to come as the hobby evolves and grows, reaching Americans in every region and every corner of the country.”
Other highlights from the recent AHA survey include:
- By the end of 2017, home brewers will have produced over 1.4 million barrels of beer, or 1% of total US production.
- Home brewers are spread across the country, with 31% in the South, 26% in the Midwest, 24% in the Northeast, and 19% in the West.
- The average home brewer is 42 years old and 52% are between 30 and 49 years old.
- Eighty-five percent are married or in a relationship.
- Sixty-eight percent have a college degree or some form of higher education, and nearly 68 percent have a household income of $75,000 or more.
The AHA commissioned 1st Resource, a market research firm, to conduct the online survey from July 21 through September 22, with more than 18,000 participants, comprised of both AHA affiliates and not affiliated with the AHA.
Contact: Jacob Streiter (on behalf of the American Homebrewers Association), 646-695-7047
About the American Homebrewers Association
The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) has worked on behalf of the homebrewing community since 1978 and celebrates a membership of over 46,000 homebrewers. the American Homebrew Association organizes events including Homebrew Con and the National Homebrew Competition. The AHA also publishes zymurgia magazine and offers the Brew Guru™ mobile app. The AHA is part of the Brewers Association (BA), whose Independent Craft Brewer Seal is a widely adopted symbol that differentiates beers from small, independent craft brewers. BAs Brewers’ Publications™ is the leading publisher of contemporary brewing literature relevant to today’s craft brewers and home brewers.