the Brewers Association — the non-profit professional association dedicated to small and independent American Brewers – announced its 2022 Board of Directors, with five new representatives to the 21-person board. Garrett Marrero, CEO and co-founder of Maui Brewing Company (Kihei, Hawaii), begins his tenure as Chairman of the Board. Marrero has served on the board since 2016 and replaces Dan Kleban, co-founder of Maine Beer Company (Freeport, Maine) as chairman. Kleban will continue to serve on the Board of Directors as a representative of Packaging Breweries and on the Executive Committee as Past President.
New Board Member Holly Redding, Executive Member, Winchester Brew Works (Winchester, Va.) becomes the third elected representative to the Taproom Brewers class created in 2019. New Board Member Jason Lavery, President/Founder Brewer, Lavery Brewing Company (Erie, Pa), along with incumbent Leah Cheston, owner of Right Proper Brewing Company (Washington, DC), were elected as Pub Brewers representatives. Tomme Arthur, new board member, co-founder of Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey (San Marcos, CA) and outgoing Marrero were elected as Packaging Breweries representatives. The new directors will each serve a three-year term.
Pamela Brulotte, Founder, Icicle Brewing, München Haus Bavarian Grill and Beer Garden (Leavenworth, Washington), Peter Skrbek, CEO, Deschutes Brewery (Bend, Ore.), and Fred Matt, President, Saranac Brewery/Matt Brewing Co. (Utica , NY) have been nominated by the Board of Directors to fill three general representative seats and will each serve a two-year term. Additionally, the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) Board of Directors nominated Cassie Salinas of Everett, Washington to serve as one of its two seats on the Brewers Association Board of Directors. Salinas will serve a three-year term.
“Despite an ongoing pandemic and impacted by a crushed supply chain, extreme weather, labor shortages, manufacturing delays, and more, craft brewers have met the challenges head on. We live in interesting times.” said Marrero. “Change can be frightening but creates vast opportunities, and it is an honor for me to serve alongside my colleagues and BA staff to help the brewing community. artisans doing what they do best: sailing, innovating and thriving.”
Marrero thanked outgoing board members Leslie Henderson, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Co. (Kiln, Miss.), Larry Horwitz, TEN20 Craft Brewery (Louisville, Ky.), Jose Mallea, Biscayne Bay Brewing (Miami, Fla. ) and Jill Marilley, AHA nominee (Everett, Wash.) for their collective 17 years of leadership, dedication and service. “While we say Aloha to departing board members, I look forward to working with the new board members,” he said.
The 2022 Brewers Association Board of Directors consists of the following members:
(* Indicates a new board member in 2022)
- Chair – Garrett MarreroMaui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Vice President – Lea ChestonRight Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Secretary Treasurer – Peter Skrbeck, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
- Past President – Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Company, Freeport, Maine
- President and CEO of the Brewers Association – Bob Pease
Packing Brewers Board Members
- *Tomme Arthur, Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey, San Marcos, CA.
- Chris HeronCreature Comforts Brewing Company, Athens, Ga.
- Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Garrett MarreroMaui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Virginia Morrison, Second Chance Beer Company, San Diego, CA.
- Sarah NelsonFremont Brewing Co., Seattle, Washington.
- Jason PerkinsAllagash Brewing Co., Portland, Maine
Pub Brewers Board Members
- Marcus Baskerville, Weathered Souls Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX
- Lea ChestonRight Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- *Jason Lavery, Lavery Brewing Company, Erie, Pennsylvania.
- Kris Spaulding, Living Brewery, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Taproom Brewers Board Members
- Betty Bollas, Fibonacci Brewing Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
- *Holly Redding Winchester Brew Works, Winchester, Virginia.
- Melissa RomanoLake Anne Brewery, Reston Va.
At-Large Board Members
- Tim BradyWhetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, Brattleboro, Vermont.
- *Pamela Brulotte Icicle Brewing Co. Leavenworth, Washington.
- Colby Cox, Roadhouse Brewing Co., Jackson, Wyo.
- Fred Matt, Saranac Brewery / Matt Brewing Company, Utica, NY
- Peter Skrbeck, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
American Homebrewers Association Board Members
- *Cassie Salinas Seattle, Washington.
- Roxanne WestendorfCincinnati, Ohio
- AHA Governance – Jill Marilley
- Breweries – Tim Brady and Kris Spaulding
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Virginie Morrison
- Events –Tim Brady
- Executive -Garrett Marrero
- Finance –Peter Skrbek
- Governance – Roxanne Westendorf
- Government Affairs -Garrett Marrero
- Market development –Fred Matt
- Public relations and marketing –Colby Cox
- Tasting rooms – Melissa Romano & Betty Bollas
- Technical –Jason Perkins and Larry Horwitz
The Board guides the strategic direction of the Brewers Association and governs the activities of the BA Professional Division as well as the American Homebrewers Association, Brewers Publications and events, including the Great American Beer FestivalOpens and theCraft Brewers Conference and BrewExpo America.
“We thank those who have given their time, knowledge and experience to serve our members,” said Bob Pease, President and CEO of the Brewers Association. “I look forward to working alongside our new and long-serving directors to help our members of all sizes and types of businesses adapt to new challenges and find new ways to thrive.”