Get to know us
Ken Grossman started Sierra Nevada in 1980 with a craft brewery and the odds were stacked against him. This passion forever changed the course of American craft brewing and started a beer revolution that is in full swing today. It turns out that a good beer can do a lot of good, and the Sierra Nevada has become a cornerstone of its innovation and concern for the Earth and its people. We are committed to advancing a culture of inclusion and believe that diversity in all its forms makes us stronger. We continue to push the boundaries, whether in the brewhouse, with sustainability, or outdoors.
Get to know this role
Brewer Technician 1 efficiently operates and monitors Sierra Nevada’s state-of-the-art brewing systems to produce award-winning beers. Reporting to the Brewing Supervisor, the Tech 1 follows Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensures our beers meet quality standards. Brewer Technician 1 is responsible for developing a thorough knowledge of all cellaring operations and working a variable shift to perform all of these skills as assigned.
What will you do
* Perform dry blasting of tanks, including all aspects of torpedo operations, traditional bag blasting operations and lupulin dosing operations
* Perform CIP of brew vats, tanks, process lines, fermenters and yeast edges, including assembly and disassembly of process lines and loops. Mixes and uses chemicals safely (use the correct chemical for the task, use cleaning equipment safely, safely carry buckets of chemicals)
* Actively monitor brewing processes on both manual and automated systems (Brewmaxx) while maintaining quality standards and specifications established by SNBC. Follow all SOPs and best practices for safe and efficient cellar operations
* Responsible for fermentation management, consisting of tank sampling to monitor gravity, temperature, pressure and all other vital conditions, and adjust tank parameters as needed
* Harvesting yeast from fermentation tanks and disposing of spent yeast
* Based on the limits defined by the SOPs, react appropriately when the limits are exceeded and report anomalies to the supervisor
* Maintain an organized, hygienic, and safe work area by cleaning up messes promptly after they are created, keeping tools in appropriate places after use, and sterilizing any items that may come in contact with the product immediately after use.
* Responsible for product and equipment performance and reporting during the shift. Perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting of process equipment and light mechanical adjustments; manually or with small hand tools or escalate maintenance issues appropriately
* Communicate and work collaboratively with other departments (Quality, Packaging, Maintenance, etc.) as necessary to achieve department goals
* Additional duties assigned
Please apply if you have
* Degree/certificate in brewing/fermentation OR any combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been acquired
* Ability to coordinate with members of the brewing team and cover any cellar operations required during daily shifts to facilitate breaks and meal times for each other
* Thorough understanding of raw material handling and cellar management
* Understanding of COP, CIP, sanitation and sterilization techniques
* Understanding of terminologies specific to the beer making process
* The skill to quickly assess the status of operations and troubleshoot processes strongly desired
* Demonstrated ability to work with an automated process interface, as well as manual brewery operations is strongly desired
* Demonstrated ability to multi-task while maintaining strong attention to detail is essential
* Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and coordinate team tasks in a cross-functional and cross-departmental team environment
* Demonstrated ability to work unsupervised and make critical decisions is desired
* Forklift certification within 60 days required
Additional requirements to consider before applying
*You must be at least 21 years old to hold this position at Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
* Selected candidate must pass a pre-employment and post-offer background check.
Before applying for this position, please review the full job description including physical requirements and work environment: https://sierranevada.jdxpert.com/ShowJob.aspx?EntityID=2&id=2052
** This position will remain open until filled; online applications will be reviewed weekly**
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer