Sierra Nevada Brewery
Apply for a job
Get to know us
Ken Grossman started Sierra Nevada in 1980 with a craft brewery and the odds were stacked against him. This passion forever changed the course of American craft brewing and started a beer revolution that is in full swing today. It turns out that a good beer can do a lot of good, and the Sierra Nevada has become a cornerstone of its innovation and concern for the Earth and its people. We are committed to advancing a culture of inclusion and believe that diversity in all its forms makes us stronger. We continue to push the boundaries, whether in the brewhouse, with sustainability, or outdoors.
Get to know what role
The microbiology specialist is responsible for performing a variety of microbiological analyzes on raw materials, in-process products and finished products in order to enumerate or detect different microbiological organisms. Reporting to the Microbiology/Quality Supervisor, this role develops and maintains microbiological testing methods for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. and supports troubleshooting brewery-wide microbiological issues. Experience with microbiological quality systems in a production environment is desired and being a positive and motivated team player is essential. This is a professional position that requires ownership of the area, including the ability to adjust work to meet the support needs of our 24/7 brewing and packaging facility.
What will you do
- Responsible for the definition, improvement, monitoring and overall management of the microbiological program, in the broad sense. This includes system mapping, program outline, reaction plan development, red light specifications, action triggers, tiered response levels, etc.
- Lead the implementation of micro-lab procedures and ensure that all necessary policies and procedures and SOPs are up to date and accurate
- Accurately record microbiology observations, data and KPIs and interpret results for departmental stakeholders
- Actively assist operations in determining appropriate procedures to prevent micro-contamination and actively participate in or lead troubleshooting efforts for the brewery as a whole.
- Maintain sample storage and manage and maintain brewer’s yeast library in accordance with established SOPs
- Perform laboratory functions such as media preparation, sample preparation, sample plating, incubation plates, plate reading, and instrument setup, maintenance, and verification.
- Collect production samples, both at the main campus and in satellite areas, as required and perform a variety of enumerative or detective microbiological tests
- Develop and execute service-specific training and reports to educate others on areas of exposure and risk, providing mitigation strategies
- Proactively identify and prioritize improvements that promote quality and minimize waste and inefficiency without compromising or missing day-to-day business/department needs
Please apply if you have
- Bachelor’s degree in science, analysis or food-related discipline required or
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology or any combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been acquired, preferred
- 2 years of quality assurance, GMP, development and validation of microbiological methods preferably and
- 1 year Quality Assurance or Quality Control in a production environment (preferably brewery) with a focus on microbiology preferably and
- Experience with: development and review of standard operating procedures (SOPs), independent work and teamwork, industry-specific microbiology methodology, HAACP, FSMA, cGMP, continuous improvement, design of experiments (DOE) preferred
- Able to learn and successfully perform the tasks described above; must have great attention to detail
- Strong influencing skills; able to lead without direct authority and provide superior internal customer service
- Skilled in management systems and communication, organized and respectful at all times; prioritize imperatives over desires
- Scheduling flexibility to be available for any high-priority projects or quality issues (in person, as needed, or over the phone), including the ability to support any shift (24/7 days out of 7), if necessary
Additional requirements to consider before applying
- You must be at least 21 years old to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- The selected candidate must pass a pre-hire and post-offer background check.
Before applying for this position, please review the full job description including physical requirements and work environment: https://sierranevada.jdxpert.com/ShowJob.aspx?EntityID=2&id=3041
** This position will remain open until filled; online applications will be reviewed weekly**
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an employer offering equal opportunities
Apply for a job